2008 Democratic National Convention
100M+ pageviews. Live HD bi-lingual video. Barack Obama streamed live across the globe.
In the 2008 election year, the US Democratic National Convention (DNC) site, DemConvention.com, was the web-based focal point for the entire Democratic Party during their Convention in Denver, Colorado. The site was aimed at people in the US and across the world who wanted to keep track of what was going on at the Convention, including watching speeches by Barack Obama and other prominent Democrats.
Because of the high visibility of the 2008 campaign and the Convention, the site needed to scale massively, and integrate with a number of leading-edge technologies from other companies.
What we did
- We applied our deep understanding of complex projects to manage a large number of parties and a challenging design and development project.
- We worked with a communications agency in the United States, who in turn liaised with the client.
- We coordinated with specific service providers for visual design, ticketing, hosting, caching, and video streaming.
- We created a site that operates in both English and Spanish.
- We ensured the site could scale to handle the massive amount of traffic it received.
- We provided 24/7 support during the event.
What users could do
- People interested in the Convention had a plethora of content to choose from: interactive maps, photos, high-definition video, frequently asked questions, blogs, contests, and background information on the Convention itself.
- They could view a wide variety of speeches streaming live, or recorded from the convention floor, including Barack Obama's presidential nomination acceptance speech given at Denver's Mile High Stadium.
Measures of success
- From the official press release of the Democratic National Committee:
DemConvention.com received more than 3.2 million visits totaling more than 2.6 billion hits during Convention week. More than 350,000 hours of video were watched by DemConvention.com visitors as the DNC site offered live gavel-to-gavel coverage in High-Definition (HD) in both English and Spanish for the first time in Convention history.
- The site handled even the heaviest load times, such as during Barack Obama's live-streamed acceptance speech, without a stretch.
- SilverStripe Ltd. was chosen to power the Democratic National Convention site after an extensive search and evaluation of appropriate technology platforms. We were chosen, in part, because our company could provide the technology platform, create the site, and maintain it.
- 1 July 2008
- Web Development