National Broadband Map
The State Services Commission (SSC) built the National Broadband Map to provide a clear view New Zealand's broadband landscape.
The map shows the gaps between demand for high-speed broadband and its current availability from telecommunications service providers, which helps demand aggregation and infrastructure planning.
What we did
- We built a mapping system based on Google Maps which displays demand for broadband by geographic location.
- We pulled in data from telecommunications service providers to show current availability of high-speed internet.
- We built a rich web application that is also accessible and e-government compliant.
- We created RESTful and SOAP APIs so that other website developers can have programmatic access to the map data.
What users can do now
- Users can use the visual representation of the map to access the data from the National Broadband Map.
- Users can add their own demand data to the map when they register to the site.
- Users and other project developers have access to the underlying raw data via open APIs.